Re: [Orgmode] depending TODOs, scheduling following TODOs automatically

From: Eddward DeVilla
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] depending TODOs, scheduling following TODOs automatically
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 09:49:08 -0500

    I've been waiting to see if org might develop something like todo
dependency ordering.  Seems like one could use this with and estimated
time to complete a todo item to generate a milestone table or more
easily estimate how long a group of tasks will require to complete or
when the soonest a given step could begin.
    I'm not sure if I like having the unique ID property for the todo.
 With drawers, it would be hidden at least and org can probably make
sure they really are unique.  Attaching a unique ID to todos could
probably be useful in other ways to.  It just doesn't feel right for a
format where pretty much every thing in the files tend to be fit for
human consumption.  I guess I'm assuming the ID would just be a
number, it could be something a little more readable/meaningful.

        You could allow (but not require) an arbitrary label property
on each todo item.

        You could allow multiple dependencies (a list property?) where
the dependency is named via the label (requiring that any todo item
that is depended upon have a label).

        You could have an operation in or that will insert a label
property into the PROPERTIES drawer for the current todo item for the
user, possibly prompting the user for a label or automatically
generating a UID based on prefix key or customization.

        Lastly you could have operations to copy labels and
dependencies and paste them into and delete them from dependency lists
(but not labels) in org buffers and agenda buffers to edit
dependencies.

    I like that the label described above could be something the user
defines or it could just random looking uid.  I don't know if it would
ever be used that way.  I'm also not sure if an item should be allow
more than one label.  It would be like a software package the
'provides' more than one feature.  I'm not sure it make sense in
project planning.  Would it be valid to name dependencies before you
know where they will be addressed?  I know I tend to determine
dependencies well before I know when or will they get addressed, but
then I don't claim to know what I'm doing most of the time.

Edd