Re: [Orgmode] depending TODOs, scheduling following TODOs automatically

From: pete phillips
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] depending TODOs, scheduling following TODOs automatically
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 19:45:26 +0100

    Russell> It isn't necessarily. I'm just pointing out it's likely to
    Russell> grow as more folks use it for larger lists. After all, most
    Russell> PM software just maintains a specialized kind of list.

    Russell> Yes I've looked at task juggler, and was impressed, but its
    Russell> overkill for what I need. (its also GUI!)

Nah. It *has* a GUI, but underneath it is text based.  I've run a few
projects with it, and I know it uses text. The structure is very
simple. From the Tutorial:

    Chapter 4. Tutorial: Your First Project

    We have mentioned already that TaskJuggler uses plain text files that
    describe the project to schedule it.  As you will see now, the
    syntax of these files is easy to understand and very intuitive.

I doubt it's overkill. The nice thing about task juggler is that you can
just use as much as you need.  I have used it for some large projects
(but, like Carsten, only for the initial planning and resource
allocation phase).

I genuinely think that if there is a band of org-moders (hmmm we could
do with a cooler collective noun I think ?)  who need PM functionality,
then a combination of org-mode and TJ with some perl glue would be
pretty good.

    Russell> I think the key here is that Org needs some PM-like
    Russell> functionality, but I certainly wouldn't advocate trying to
    Russell> make Org a full PM. Org is great for lists, notes, TODO's,
    Russell> etc. Ever try to take freeform notes in MS Project? ;]

Nope. I don't use MS to start with.  ;-)  Also, when using TJ, I was
also able to make notes in emacs (because I was coding the TJ files in
emacs).

Anyway, this horse is flogged to death!  If your experience of TJ is
only the GUI, I'd seriously recommend a look at the command line
mode. The nice thing about using org-mode with other programmes is that
it tends to conform to the UNIX philosophy:

     "Write programs that do one thing and do it well. Write programs to
     work together. Write programs to handle text streams, because that
     is a universal interface."

Pete