Re: [Orgmode] depending TODOs, scheduling following TODOs automatically

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] depending TODOs, scheduling following TODOs automatically
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 20:46:37 +0100

Russell Adams <address@hidden> writes:

> I think the key here is that Org needs some PM-like functionality, but
> I certainly wouldn't advocate trying to make Org a full PM. Org is
> great for lists, notes, TODO's, etc. Ever try to take freeform notes
> in MS Project? ;]
>
> I'm interested to see where Carsten and the others take these ideas.

Maybe I should have been soberer while trying to imagine how the
suggested features could be implemented in Org.  In fact, I just thought
it was challenging to figure out what could be the best implementation
and, while trying to write down those ideas, I surely gave the false
impression that I took for granted that Org should go that direction.

But this is, of course, questionable.

I think this direction is the good one if:

1. people provide convincing examples on how PM-like features would be
   useful for their own use of Org;

2. the implementation does not change what people already like in Org;

3. the implementation is incremental, slowly absorbing proposals from
   people really using them.

As for 1. I can think of a very simple need I come accross quite often:

  I have a few headlines, and the first one is typically being marked
  NEXT. Once this task is done, I want the next one to be marked NEXT.
  Other example: when I cancel a headline, I want to interactively
  cancel subtasks that still populate the agenda buffer.

For 2. and 3., only Carsten can have a clear view on that ones I guess.

Regards,

--
Bastien