Re: [Orgmode] Categories

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Categories
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 14:31:05 +0100

Richard G Riley <address@hidden> writes:

>> You could set a :CATEGORY: property for entry.
>>
> How do you do that?

Please check (info "(Org)Property syntax") to know more about
properties.

> | #+CATEGORY: Emacs

Although this is still supported, you can now use this:

,----
| * A headline here
|   :PROPERTIES:
|   :CATEGORY: Emacs
|   :END:
`----

The CATEGORY property does the same job than the old #+CATEGORY, except
that its scope is well defined, i.e. we don't need to bother anymore on
where #+CATEGORY has to be.

> My question is how to assign a task to a category, preferably through
> a pick/select from a list of predefined category names.

Maybe something like this:

,----
| (setq org-remember-templates
|       '((?c "* %?\n   :PROPERTIES:\n   :CATEGORY: %^{Category}\n   :END:\n\n
%i\n" "~/org/todo.org" "Tasks")))
`----

(Note that white spaces are important.)

Inserting properties (including the CATEGORY property) interactively
from a template looks a bit too much for me.  But not using remember
very often, and only for taking quick notes -- not editing my main
Org file.

> ps Is there an IRC channel for org? The mailing list is busy enough I
> wonder if an IRC channel wouldnt be a good idea to help people through
> teething pains.

Do you think "being-productive-with-Org" and "lurking-on-Org-channel"
can get along nicely? Ahem.

The good thing with the mailing is that it helps to provide a huge
"dynamic FAQ" to googlers.  IRC logs too often die in the darkness.

--
Bastien