Re: [Orgmode] depending TODOs, scheduling following TODOs automatically

From: Jason F. McBrayer
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] depending TODOs, scheduling following TODOs automatically
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 13:03:34 -0400

pete phillips <address@hidden> writes:

> org-mode developed as a means of maintaining lists, and it excels at
> this. Just because the GTD methodology uses the term Project doesn't
> mean that we should turn org-mode into a fully fledged project
> planning application. If you need project planning capability, then
> you probably need all the bells and whistles that go with it - GANT
> and PERT charts, critical path calculations, multi-user capabilities
> etc.

I agree.  If you're using a GTD-like methodology, all you really need
is something that is good at maintaining lists of things (and
generating cross-cutting lists of things like project vs. context).
If you are using a day-planner methodology, all you really need is to
be able to maintain dated lists with attached statuses.  Org-mode is
really good for both of these things.

Once you get into "enterprise" (read as over-bureaucratized) project
planning, then you really need software designed for the bureaucratic
requirements of your organization, or for your organziation's
bureaucracy to be built around something like MS-Project.  I don't
think it's a good idea for org-mode to try to support this type of
work.  Gnome Planner might be a workable tool for this kind of job.

| Jason F. McBrayer                    address@hidden  |
| If someone conquers a thousand times a thousand others in |
| battle, and someone else conquers himself, the latter one |
| is the greatest of all conquerors.  --- The Dhammapada    |