Re: [Orgmode] Definition of "unscheduled" task

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Definition of "unscheduled" task
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 20:45:18 +0200

Well,

I am not about the change the meaning of "scheduled", but I can give you a new
variable `org-agenda-todo-ignore-with-date'.  How about that?

- Carsten

On Oct 14, 2007, at 17:45, Wanrong Lin wrote:

That's certainly an option. But usually I like to mark any "actionable" items with "TODO", while using non-TODO entries to record information, or to group TODOs into logical groups. Like this:

* Dental
*** TODO See Dr. Xyz for cleaning
  <2007-11-29 Thu 09:00>
* Medical
*** TODO See Dr. Abc for routine exam
* Useful Websites

Conceptually, I think it is cleaner that way (if the entry indicates some action, have a "TODO" keyword. How that action is scheduled is a separate issue.). Physiologically, If I know in my org system certain entries need action but don't have a TODO keyword, my trust of the system will decrease since there are many functions in org-mode that operates on TODO entries only (or better so). Also, with a TODO keyword, I can change the state of it (I can cancel it, I can mark it done and etc.). Further, sometimes you just want to create a TODO entry like "See Dr. Abc", and later make it an appointment by adding a time stamp. It seems awkward to me that I need to remove the "TODO" keyword once I have that item scheduled as an appointment.

In short, I think we should mark appointments as "TODO" entries and have appointments removed from the TODO item list if "ignore-scheduled" is turned on.

Wanrong