Re: [Orgmode] Archive tag

From: Daniel J. Sinder
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Archive tag
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 12:37:47 -0700

On 11/02/2007 11:43 AM, Bastien wrote:
> Hi Uwe,
>
> "Uwe Jochum" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> when I change (using customize menue for "Org Archive") the archive
>> tag from "Archive" (English) to "Archiv" (German) I have to set the
>> faces for "Archiv" anew, and the "Archiv" tag doesn't do what the
>> "Archive" tag does, i.e. "Archiv" doesn't work. Is this intentionally
>> so? (Problem seen in Emacs 22.1.1 with org 5.13.)
>
> I don't have a solution, but just to remind you that Using the ARCHIVE
> tag is the "old" way of handling archives - Org now prefers to use the
> ARCHIVE property:
>
> ,----
> | * A headline
> |   :PROPERTIES:
> |   :ARCHIVE: archives/patres_archive::
> |   :END:
> |
> | ** This headline will be archived in archives/patres_archive
> `----
>
> Unlike the ARCHIVE tag, the property name ARCHIVE is fixed and cannot be
> changed.
>
> HTH,

I don't have a solution either, but wanted to point out that there
is nothing "old" about the ARCHIVE tag -- it serves a different
purpose than the ARCHIVE property.

The ARCHIVE tag leaves a heading where it is, but locks the tree
from visibility cycling and hides it from sparse trees and agendas.

The ARCHIVE property is alternative for "#+ARCHIVE" which is a
file-specific way of setting org-archive-location.

Dan