Re: [Orgmode] XHTML export -   etc.

From: William Henney
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] XHTML export -   etc.
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 08:23:26 -0600

Hi Bastien

On 11/3/07, Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:
> "William Henney" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Personally, I tend to just use the unicode characters directly in my
> > org file. This works quite well om the whole (see attached example).
>
> This is *very* nice.

Glad you liked it

> I attach the corresponding .tex source and a .pdf output.
>
> I used org-export-latex.el for this.  I had to handle backslashes issues
> (hopefully this will be fixed in org-export-latex.el)

That would be great!

> and some unicode
> characters could not be printed:
>
> Unicode characters: ✧ ♥ ⊼ ⋓ ∡ □ ϑ
>
> ERROR: Package ucs Error: Unknown Unicode character 9829 = U+2665,
>
> I don't have any clue on how this could be handled...

Here is what I have managed to work out. Apologies for answering in
org syntax :)

*** Second update [2007-11-03 Sat]
**** Finding LaTeX definitions for obscure symbols
     Look in the
[[http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/symbols/comprehensive/][Comprehensive
LaTeX Symbol List]] to find the package
     where each symbol is defined.
     + =\usepackage{amssymb}= provides lots of the more obscure math
       symbols, such as ⋓ (=\Cup=).
**** Telling =ucs.sty= about symbols it doesn't understand
     We can use something like
:\DeclareUnicodeCharacter{977}{\ensuremath{\vartheta}}
     + Note that the code (e.g., 977) can be found from the TeX error
       message. It seems to be decimal, but I still haven't worked out
       its relation to the Unicode hex code.
     + A better way might be to add the new definitions to the ucs
       config files and run =makeunidef.pl=

Attached are example .tex and .pdf that work for me.

Cheers

Will

--

  Dr William Henney, Centro de Radioastronomía y Astrofísica,
  Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Campus Morelia