Re: [Orgmode] Re: When is a TODO really a TODO ? ...

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: When is a TODO really a TODO ? ...
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 14:06:03 +0000

"Eddward DeVilla" <address@hidden> writes:

>> Maybe this would help make the examples even more clearer.  This is
>> especially crucial when if comes to complex agenda searches.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> What about if a task is not a task?  What if it's a person, a
> reservation, an event or some other thing to be organized?

The purpose of "task" was to find a replacement for "TODO item".

There are many occurrences of "TODO item" or "TODO entry" in the manual,
and "task" is better because it's more general.

Of course it is not perfect, and no replacement would be, because it is
impossible to capture all possible uses for an entry in a single word...
but in the lack of better alternatives, I think it's okay, especially if
we dedicate a "Writing conventions" section at the beginning of the
manual, explaining both the scope and the limitation of conventions
(like using "tasks" for headlines that have a keyword).

> We need to make sure we keep is easy cases easy.  I don't think
> incremental discoveries after that are a bad thing.

Yes, precisely.  This is why all these possible conventions have to be
carefully and gradually implemented, so that we can check new Org users
don't get lost.

--
Bastien