Re: [Orgmode] Re: Ringing the alarm bell in orgmode

From: Richard G Riley
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Ringing the alarm bell in orgmode
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 16:35:29 +0100

"William Henney" <address@hidden> writes:

> On 11/6/07, Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Richard G Riley <address@hidden> writes:
>> > Is it just me or are emacs info pages really a bit of a dog to search
>> > through?
>>
>> It's not just you.
>>
>> Many people don't like to search through the Info pages and whether this
>> interface is the best one for Emacs documentation is always a hot topic
>> on the emacs-devel mailing list.
>>
>> But `i' (M-x Info-index) will really make your life easier.
>>
>> Personnally I do like Info pages and Info-mode very much.  In addition
>> to Info-index, I'm mostly using these:
>>
>>   `l' Info-history-back
>>   `L' Info-history
>>   `]' Info-forward-node
>>
>> Once you get used to these few commands, it's really quick to find and
>> fetch info relevant information.
>>

> I use "l" a lot, but I didn't know about "L" - thanks!
>
> The commands I use most are "spacebar", which just chugs through an
> entire manual, and "s", which does a regexp search.
>
> I do like info pages when I can actually get the right ones to load.
> The big problem I have with info is in setting it up so that it finds
> the right files. For instance, I have totally failed to work out how I
> can tell it where my org info files are, with the result that it
> always shows me the old version that comes with my emacs (currently
> 4.67). I have tried setting Info-default-directory-list and
> Info-directory-list, but all to no avail. Has anyone else had this
> problem?

Yes.

On linux i ran (sudo) make install-info and then insured
/usr/local/info was on my info-directory-list

I also deleted any old org files lying around. I dont know, info files
and their set up is just damn confusing IMO, especially with plenty of
makefiles updating the wrong dir file. - its always worth checking which
define they use for their destination infopath.