Re: [Orgmode] property searches for #+CATEGORY

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] property searches for #+CATEGORY
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 09:54:08 +0100

On  8Nov2007, at 5:55 AM, Bastien wrote:

However, I do think that Adam's initial request to make the
category available as a special property for queries in not
unreasonble.  Or does anyone disagree?

I'm convinced it's not unreasonable :)

I am not sure, though, if the #+CATEGORY category should be
available with `org-entry-get', because it would then be very
hard for the property API to make a difference between a value
that is intimately associated with the current entry, and a
value that might be derived by some other mechanism.  So here I
differ somewhat from Adam's feeling that category is just like
TODO or a tag.  It is different.

Then a search like CATEGORY="cat" would also return entries which
CATEGORY property is not "cat"... ok, maybe this doesn't hurt that
much for search purposes.  But I expect someone will come in three
month complaining that `org-entry-get' didn't return the category,
even though he set it up through #+CATEGORY.

OK, here is what we will do.  We will make `org-entry-get' return
a value from #+CATEGORY if the INHERIT flag is set in the call
to `org-entry-get'.  In this case the value is inherited not from
a higher level entry, but for the "file environment", and even
top-level outline entries can ihnerit it.
We actually already have this mechanism:

   #+PROPERTY: Name Value

So we could then see

   #+CATEGORY: work

as a short-hand for

   #+PROPERTY: CATEGORY work

... which makes all of this suddenly look as if it was designed
like this from the beginning.  I like it.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed to this discussion.

- Carsten