Re: [Orgmode] Adding path and file name into file links

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Adding path and file name into file links
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 10:44:25 +0000

"Graham Smith" <address@hidden> writes:

> When adding a file link, is there some way of searching for the file you
> want to add while in the file link and then inserting the path and file
> name of the found file rather than having to type the whole thing in.

C-u C-c C-l to find the file, then RET RET to insert it with its name as
the default description.

> Or alternatively, can you search for the file with dired and then copy
> and paste the path from dired into the file link.

I'm not sure of what you mean.

The usual way is to call `org-store-link' (`C-c l' here) on a file in
dired then to insert this link back with `org-insert-link' (C-c C-l).

Does that help?

If you want to create a list of links from dired and copy this list to
the kill-ring, maybe you can use something like this as well:

(defun my-copy-dired-files-in-kill-ring ()
  "Copy files names in the kill ring."
  (interactive)
  (let ((files (dired-map-over-marks (dired-get-filename) nil)))
    (kill-new
     (mapconcat
      (lambda (f)
        (concat "[[file:" f "]["
                (file-name-nondirectory f) "]]"))
      files "\n"))
    (message "%d Org links copied to the kill-ring" (length files))))

--
Bastien