Re: [Orgmode] Feature request: custom link handlers

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Feature request: custom link handlers
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 12:46:57 +0000

Tom Weissmann <address@hidden> writes:

> This is basically a request to be able to create custom link handlers.
>
> For example, my `org-link-abbrev-alist' is this:
>
> `(("wiki"   . org-link-abbrev-wiki)
>   ("bmk"    . org-link-abbrev-bookmark)
>   ("POA"    . org-link-abbrev-poa))
>

> Only one of these actually returns a link that Org mode can use: wiki returns
> url. "bmk" opens a bookmark and "POA" opens another application; neither
> return
> anything, so using them raises an error message.

I'm not sure to understand.

For now `org-link-abbrev-alist' looks like:

'(("google" . "http://www.google.com/search?q=%s";))

where the cdr of each cell is a formatting string in which %s stand for
the text after "::" (or ":").  So for example :

  [[google::orgmode]]

is the abbreviated form of

  [[http://www.google.com/search?q=orgmode]]

Are you suggesting to replace "http://www.google.com/search?q=%s"; by a
function that would handle the text after "::" in a different way than
`format' is currently doing?

I think a step by step example would be useful here.

--
Bastien