Re: [Orgmode] Feature Request - Active and inactive links.

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Feature Request - Active and inactive links.
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 12:21:03 +0100

Hi Tim,

thanks for the details.  I think I got confused because I couldn't
understand what you mean by a link being "processed" when compiling
the agenda.  Now I understand that it means some kind of inclusion.

So the issue seems twofold:

1. the first issue is about *including* external Org files (or other
   external resources, although I'm not sure to understand what does
   that mean);

2. the second issue is that of *processing* links to external resources
   when using your Org file as a source for other purposes (agenda view,
   export, etc.)

I think both issues are very interesting but should be carefully (and
maybe separately) thought.

You're speaking about a link that would include the targetted Org file
into the list of agenda files.  Then attaching meta-data to this link,
you would control how the building of the agenda should process the link
(adding category, etc.)

Some example of what we could do:

- a link to an Org file that should be considered part of the master
  file (at any time: agenda view, export, etc.)  This could be a new
  link type like "org:"

  org:~/home/org/header.org

- a link to a file that should be included for specific export:

  #+BEGIN_LaTeX
  org:~/home/org/latex_footer.org
  #+END_LaTeX

  or maybe, if it's not ambigous:

  org:latex:~/home/org/latex_footer.org

- a link to a file that should only be processed in agenda views:

  org:agenda:~/home/org/other-todo.org

- ... and maybe only for a specific agenda view

  org:agenda:n~/home/org/other-todo.org ("n" being the name of the
  command key in org-agenda-custom-commands)

Where you thinking of something like that?

I'm not sure on how to integrate your idea about specifying categories,
and I doubt this is particularily relevant: the links already belong to
entries that will be categorized.

I'm not sure although about your example with iCal.  Do you think it
could fit with the picture above?

Thanks for this neat idea.  I'm sure we're getting somewhere...

--
Bastien