Re: [Orgmode] Re: Whitespace and outline structure...

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Whitespace and outline structure...
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 16:17:09 +0100

Daniel Pittman <address@hidden> writes:

> Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> I suffer this problem too. I can't think of a situation where blank
>>> lines would be useful attached to an item.... but maybe I'm doing it
>>> wrong.
>>
>> No, I feel the same.  I think I don't usually need more one or two
>> blank lines.  Hence my proposal about org-delete-trailing-blank-lines
>> based on allowed values...
>
> Something like that might be good -- for my use a single blank line is
> part of the entry, the second one is not, ever.  So, for me, a simple
> rule.

Yes.  Considering an option like:

(setq org-allow-blank-lines   ;; or org-allow-max-blank-lines
         '((org-level-1 . 2)
           (org-level-2 . 1)
           (list-item   . 1)
           (t . delete))

The rule for handling trailing blank lines would be as follow : when
moving/cutting a subtree of level N, only allow a definite number of
trailing blank lines (L_n).  If there is more than L_n lines, try to
decide whether these additional blank lines are part of the subtree
above... etc.  If blank lines cannot be attached to a subtree, either
delete them, or reject them at the end of the subtree.

Not sure how this could be implemented, but I just wanted to clarify
what I had in mind.

--
Bastien