Re: [Orgmode] Re: update-org script

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: update-org script
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 09:53:05 +0100

On Dec 14, 2007, at 9:44 AM, Pete Phillips wrote:

   Dan>> I do find it curious that I don't see that file when I ls the
   Dan>> directory. No biggie; just find it interesting.

   Carsten> How can you ls the directory of a website?  I thought that
   Carsten> is not possible?

If you have an index.html file in there (or index.htm, depending on your
web server) then you are correct - you can't list a directory on a web
server. In general, that is good from a security perspective. this also
allows you to make files available which you can only get if you know
their URL - you can't browse around for them.

Thanks for the clarification.

I suspect there is confusion here because Carsten mentioned using ftp to
upload the files, and with ftp you can usually list directories.
However, we are clearly talking about a web service.

So my remaining question is: Is there ftp access for users on orgmode.org? I do use ftp to upload, but I did not know about public access.

- Carsten