Re: [Orgmode] emacs on the N800

From: Adam Spiers
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] emacs on the N800
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 17:58:10 +0000

On Sat, Dec 22, 2007 at 05:05:16PM +0100, Bastien wrote:
> Hi,
>
> finally I didn't switch to the N810.  The N800 already fits most of my
> "needs" (who really need such a tool?).
>
> Daniel M German <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I can provide a tar file for /usr/local with emacs in it. But I don't
> > have it packaged, thought. I don't now how to do i.

I have compiled and successfully run emacs 22.1 with GTK inside the
Chinook (maemo 4.0) x86 scratchbox environment:

  http://www.adamspiers.org/maemo/maemacs.png

It was impressively easy using the VMware-based SDK VM image.  Next
step is to recompile for the Chinook ARMEL target and build a .deb to
test on the N810 itself.  Note that there is already a project started
with a cute name by someone else with the same goals:

  https://garage.maemo.org/projects/maemacs

He accepted me as a developer on the project so hopefully we can work
together.

> Regarding this, i've found this resource:
>
>   http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-lob800-1.html
>
> Check the "Creating maemo packages" section - perhaps someone could make
> an Emacs 23 package and see if org-mouse is working?  I've been fiddling
> too much with the device for now !

I am certainly intending to try that very soon.  The breadth and depth
of developer resources for maemo is extremely impressive:

  http://maemo.org/development/documentation/

which fills me with confidence that the platform will continue to
thrive and that it will prove a very useful little toy^H^H^Htool ;-)