Re: [Orgmode] org-mairix.el now on EmacsWiki

From: Adam Spiers
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-mairix.el now on EmacsWiki
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 23:02:20 +0000

On Sat, Dec 08, 2007 at 08:08:34PM +0000, Adam Spiers wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 04:16:12PM +0200, Georg C. F. Greve wrote:
> >  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/org-mairix.el
>
> Hi Georg,
>
> See my other post sent within a few minutes of this for deeper
> discussion points, but just wanted to point out a minor cosmetic issue
> here which I noticed when I started to hack org-mairix for adding mutt
> support:
>
>   ;;; Generic org-mairix functions
>
>   (defun org-mairix-store-link ()
>     [...]
>
> Actually this function is gnus-specific, so I would suggest that it be
> renamed to org-mairix-gnus-store-link and moved to a different
> location within the file so that it is not under the 'Generic'
> sub-heading.

I am halfway through integrating mutt support into org-mairix.  The
latest version is attached and has the above cosmetic tweak applied.
I do not use gnus so I would be grateful if Georg or someone else
could test it to make sure I didn't break anything w.r.t. gnus.
Georg, feel free to upload it to emacswiki.org if it meets with your
approval.

Please note that it does not yet support automatic insertion of links
to messages marked externally by a helper invoked from within mutt.  I
have code which does that, but it's a simple hack using Perl which
lacks full plist-based integration, so I am waiting for advice in how
to resolve the issues described here:

  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/4217/focus=4635

before I can make a fully-functional release.

There are other issues with the code I would welcome feedback on.  For
instance, we need to define and document the syntax of the
mairix:... link, and I think it should support more flexibility than
it currently does, e.g.

  - state within the link (rather than globally via a custom variable)
    whether to do a threaded search or not,

  - search by arbitrary mairix expressions, not just message ids, and

  - per-link support for other mairix arguments such as -f <rcfile> for
    allowing multiple concurrent mairix setups.  I personally need
    this since I keep my work and personal mail archives (and mairix
    indices) completely separate.