Re: [Orgmode] Org-mode version 5.17

From: Adam Spiers
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Org-mode version 5.17
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 11:22:59 +0000

On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 07:28:42AM +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Changes in Version 5.17
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[snipped]

>     - When a remember template contains the string `%!', the note
>       will be stored immediately after all template parts have
>       been filled in, so you don't even have to press `C-c
>       C-c'. The was a proposal by Adam Spiers.

Thanks, works great!  Looks like you forgot to add the help text to
the defcustom again though ;-)

>     - The new command `org-remember-goto-last-stored' will jump
>       to the location of the remember note stored most recently.
>       If you have `org-remember' on a key like `C-c r', then you
>       can go to the location with a double prefix arg: `C-u C-u
>       C-c r'.  This was a proposal by Rainer Stengele.

This is also great - it would be *even* better if we also had the
per-template option of automatically jumping there.  This could be
implemented in exactly the same way as you did the "don't prompt me"
%! option above.  The justification is that each remember template
defines a mini-workflow, and some will then require immediate editing
of the new item in its final context.  Additionally it would provide a
workaround to the problems described here:

  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/4692

since if the new item is immediately moved to its final context,
keywords/tags/priorities etc. can be set there rather than from within
the *Remember* buffer.

>     - Template items that are being prompted for can now specify
>       a default value and a completion table.  Furthermore,
>       history variable.  For example:
>
>        %^{Author|Roald Dahl|Thomas Mann|Larry Niven}
>
>       will prompt for an author name.  Pressing RET without
>       typing anything will select "Roald Dahl".  Completion will
>       give you any of the three names.  And a history will be
>       kept, so you can use the arrow keys to get to previous
>       input.  The history is tied to the prompt.  By using the
>       same prompt in different templates, you can build a history
>       across templates.  The ideas for this came from proposals
>       by Bastien and Adam.

This is really cool, however there is one problem: SPC is now bound to
minibuffer-complete-word in this context.