Re: [Orgmode] Strange bug, request for more info

From: Adam Spiers
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Strange bug, request for more info
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 12:03:10 +0000

On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 12:25:45PM +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> On Jan 31, 2008, at 11:32 AM, Adam Spiers wrote:
> >I haven't seen it, but could you perhaps make use of edebug
> >(conditional) breakpoints to track it down, or edebug evaluation
> >lists, or even `edebug-set-global-break-condition' ?
>
> Hi Adam,
>
> yes, if I could *reproduce* this bug, I would use these tool to fix it.
> But no-one, not even John can reliably reproduce it!

Sure - that's why I was thinking that maybe you could come up with one
or more conditional breakpoints which would be likely to trigger only
when the bug occurs.  In this way a conditional breakpoint would be a
bit like the traditional "assertions" that people litter their code
with as sanity checks, never expecting the checks to fail, but
benefitting from the red flag if they do.  For example in this case,
presumably something's going wrong here:

(defun org-agenda-goto (&optional highlight)
  "Go to the Org-mode file which contains the item at point."
  (interactive)
  (let* ((marker (or (get-text-property (point) 'org-marker)
             (org-agenda-error)))
              (buffer (marker-buffer marker))
               (pos (marker-position marker)))
    (switch-to-buffer-other-window buffer)

and similarly for `org-agenda-switch-to', in which case perhaps you
could place conditional breakpoints asserting that the `buffer'
and `pos' variable always end up with sane values?