Re: [Orgmode] Installation on windows

From: Eddward DeVilla
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Installation on windows
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 10:12:10 -0600

I don't know of any install wizard for org-mode or any other emacs add
on.  What I did was create a directory to put emacs plugins.  I added
it to emacs's load-path by putting the following in my .emacs file.
(I don't know where that file is in windows if you don't use cygwin.)

    ;; set up my own package directory
    (setq load-path
          (append (list nil "~/.emacs_packages") ;; make this any path
 you choose
                  load-path))

I then download the latest org-mode zip file and unpack it in a
temporary directory.  I then copy the elisp files (*.el) in the top
level into my package directory.  It tend to be about 4 files.  I
don't copy the files out of the sub directories (like the xemacs
stuff) because I haven't needed them.

Lastly I added the follow once to the .emacs:

    ;; setup Org mode
    (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org$" . org-mode))    ; to
make emacs recognize org files
    (define-key global-map "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)    ; (optional) to
store links in non-org-mode buffers/files
    (define-key global-map "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)    ; (optional) to
open an agenda buffer from anywhere
    (add-hook 'org-mode-hook 'turn-on-font-lock)    ; org-mode
requires font-lock
    (require 'org-install)

When you upgrade, just copy in the new .el files into you package
directory.  I generally don't compile.  I've only needed to compile
when I was using huge tables that I needed to manipulate.

Edd