[Orgmode] Re: CATEGORY in different levels

From: Sven Bretfeld
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: CATEGORY in different levels
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 00:31:36 +0100

Hi Jost

Jost Burkardt <address@hidden> writes:

> Sorry to correct you, but the result is correct. As Carsten said:
>
> The :CATEGORY: property applies to the entry headline _above_ it, and to
> the entire tree below it
>
> So in your example
>
>>> * Teaching
>>>  :PROPERTIES:
>>>  :CATEGORY: Teaching
>>>  :END:
>>> ** Sanskrit I (WS08)                        :PROJECT:
>>>   :PROPERTIES:
>>>   :CATEGORY: Sanscrit I
>>>   :END:
>
> the ":CATEGORY: Sanscrit I" applies to the entry _above_, i.e.
>
> ** Sanskrit I (WS08)
>
> and  the  ":CATEGORY: Teaching" is overridden. The TODO
> entries in your file are _below_  ":CATEGORY: Sanscrit I"
> so they will show up fine.
>
> Think of the PROPERTIES as an attribute of the entry above.

Ok, I understand now. Thanks for explaining.

What I want to do seems quite simple and natural to me. What would be
the org-way to get my desired output? Can I use two different property
keywords, one for areas and one for projects? How do other people do
it?

I could, of course, simply skip the property for the 1st level, but
this would always result in a corrupt agenda view for projects. Not a
catastrophe, but not nice.

Greetings

Sven