Re: [Orgmode] Re: list indentation

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: list indentation
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 08:17:10 +0100

I don't quite understand yet what you mean. Please try to explain again.

- Carsten

On Feb 9, 2008, at 1:29 AM, cezar wrote:

On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 10:24:39 +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:

On Feb 7, 2008, at 7:58 PM, cezar wrote:

Hello,

I am using org-mode version 5.17a and I sometimes need to write some
details on a task like:

** TODO something to be done
 notes about this task
 come here and they include a list
 - blah
 - blah
   And another list
   - foo
   - foo
     And one more list
     - bar
     - bar

Now, this is not what it should look like ! The lists need to be
aligned properly.

Hi Cezar,

Org-mode tries its best to guess what you mean and then do it. However,
it is not a true mind reader, and it cannot know how you intend your
lists to be structured. This structure you show is valid and might just
as well be what you mean.

However, Org-mode helps you to create the lists either way. What you
probably did is (I am guessing here):

    - type "And another list"
    - press RET to get a new line
    - press TAB to indent, Org assumes that you want to continue
      text as *part* of he current item.
    - type "-" to make a new item
    - press TAB in the hope that the line would be outdented
      to match your intended structure.  Bummer.  Org keeps the
structure because it assumes by setting the indentation, this is
      what you mean.

What you could have done
    - type "And another list"
    - press RET to get a new line
    - type "-" to make a new item
    - press TAB to indent, now org-mode matches up the "-"
      with the previous ones, because before indenting the line you
      told it that you intended it to be an item in time.

What you really should have done
    - type "And another list"
    - M-RET to create the next item.

Hope this helps

- Carsten

Am I making any sense ?

Regards,
Cezar

My problem is that "Another list" is indented (because it's under a list
element row). So what I'd want is org-mode to know that/when the list
ends which is at the end of the line (maybe use a dot)

Thank you for explaining.

Cezar