Re: [Orgmode] Re: list indentation

From: William Henney
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: list indentation
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 15:45:53 -0600

Hi Eddward

On Feb 9, 2008 11:02 AM, Eddward DeVilla <address@hidden> wrote:
> I know what I'd like, but I don't know if it's practical.  Another
> possibility is to do like rst and require a blank line when ending a
> list entry.  Again, I'm not sure that is reasonably workable in
> org-mode.

But that would mean that org would have to disallow multiple
paragraphs in one list item, which is currently allowed.

I think the only way to get what you want is to have distinct markers
for starting and ending the lists. Something like

**** Proposal for a more explicit list syntax
     An attempt to provide more robust indentation for lists with
     follow-on text.
     /-
     - Here is a list item
     - Here is another item.

       This item has multiple paras.
     - And a third item
       /+
       + With an embedded sub-list
       + Second sub-item
       +/
       Final part of third item
     -/
     And here the lists have ended, so indentation returns to
     normal.

One thing I'm not too happy about with this proposal is that the - in
the start list marker (/-) does not line up with the other -'s. An
alternative could be something like

-\
- one
- two
-/

or (if unicode is allowed) even

-↓
- one
- two
-↑

What do people think? The interaction with org-outdent-item would be tricky.

Cheers

Will

--

  Dr William Henney, Centro de Radioastronomía y Astrofísica,
  Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Campus Morelia