Re: [Orgmode] Re: list indentation

From: William Henney
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: list indentation
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 19:09:29 -0600

Hi Eddward

On Feb 9, 2008 5:26 PM, Eddward DeVilla <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Feb 9, 2008 4:50 PM, William Henney <address@hidden> wrote:
> > You are right, though, that it is the end-of-list marker that is
> > important. On reflection, it seems to me that a beginning-of-list
> > marker is not necessary.
>
> That's why I suggested -----.  It's really only needed as a
> terminator, but I like symmetry.  I'd like to be able have something
> at the top, but it should not be required.

But it causes problems to allow the same marker to be used at the
start and end. For instance, consider the following:

-----
- item one
- item two
----- <- point is on this line

When I hit TAB, how is org to know whether the "-----" is supposed to
start a new sublist (and so should be indented 3 spaces) or is meant
to end the preceding list (and so should not be indented)?

That is why I proposed that IF we are to have both start and end
markers, THEN they need to be distinct. However, I now think that it
would be better to just have end markers. Personally, I would prefer
"-/" for the XMLish feel. My objections to "-----" are

1. It is hard to remember (was it 5 dashes or 4?)
2. It is a pain to type when you have the "tex" input method turned on
3. It conflicts with existing usage (sec 12.6.5 of the manual)

   * A line consisting of only dashes, and at least 5 of them, will be
     exported as a horizontal line (`<hr/>' in HTML).

> Really, the terminator
> should not be required unless you need it to tell org to end the list,
> so we don't break current files.

Agreed.

Cheers

Will

--

  Dr William Henney, Centro de Radioastronomía y Astrofísica,
  Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Campus Morelia