Re: [Orgmode] bug in org-store-link

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] bug in org-store-link
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 11:20:31 -0500

Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Scott, this is not a small bug, but a problem that is really hard
> to solve.
> Supposed I used the exact line text to search, then you still have two
> lines in the buffer
> that would match.
>
> This is really about what strategy should be used to find a location
> in a file that has possibly changed.
> I have no good answer to that.  Do you?

Two suggestions:

o Use a line number, instead of a search pattern and don't worry
about subsequent edits to the file that the link points to.

o Use the find-tag strategy: go to the line number as an initial
approximation. If the pattern is found there, done; if not, search
around that point for the pattern and keep expanding the area of the
search until found. I don't know if they still do it that way but I
think that's how it was done some time ago.

Nick