Re: [Orgmode] Bug? Installing from git master

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Bug? Installing from git master
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 09:13:03 +0100

On Mar 3, 2008, at 1:13 AM, Bastien Guerry wrote:

Adam Spiers <address@hidden> writes:

Is _everyone_ pulling from git in this room??

:-)

I do.

Me too.

`make' completes cleanly now.  Thanks.

... but only if you have erc installed (it's shipped with emacs 22 but
not emacs 21):

This is because org-default-extensions defaults to (org-irc):

So it would be nice if it didn't default to (org-irc) for older
emacsen.

I'd rather not load any module by default.  As far as I understand it,
the purpose of having `org-default-extensions' is precisely to let new
users have a simple and clean default install, with a simple facility to
get new modules loaded -- but only if they explicitely require so.

The idea of having default modules in this variables is this:
Eventually I would like to factor out ome parts of the current org.el
into there own files, in particular much of the link code can move to
such files.  However, I still want Org-mode to be feature-rich out of the
box, so I would load those factored-out modules from this variable,
plus offer optional modules for the user to select.

I did not realize that erc is not supported on all Emacs versions,
to we clearly need to cater for this.  Wither by taking it out
of that variable, of my making the require fail silently.
We could, for example, wrap the require into condition-case and only
pus out a message, not raise a signal.

- Carsten

BTW, maybe the name of the feature "org-irc" is a bit misleading: since
it's really about erc, and since Emacs also comes with rcirc.el, it
should either be called org-erc.el or support links to rcirc.el.

Phil, what do you think?

--
Bastien