Re: [Orgmode] Org mode as an helper tool for my job position (DBA)

From: Russell Adams
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Org mode as an helper tool for my job position (DBA)
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 07:58:04 -0500

> Let take the example of an update statistics. What informations are really
> relevant for me is simply this:
>
> 1. server name
> 2. start date/end date
> 3. return code
> 4. database name
>
> Then for each table/index of the given database, I need this:
>
> 1. object name
> 2. status
> 3. time spent
>
> Each object would have extra informations as a note under the entry.
>
> Producing the right org-mode file structure from any script/c code is rather
> simple, in fact, I have done this as a quick and dirty hack for one tool.
>
> Where I am failing is in having a column view of the document (I want to be
> able
> to only view time spent for each object name to measure the performance of the
> last update statistics run).

It sounds like you should explore the property drawer and properties,
using Org's column view. It can summarize properties across items,
which is very handy whether turning out a budget, timeline, etc.

I think you're right, that Org could make reviewing this kind of data
very fast.

Here's a short example you can use with column view (C-c C-x C-c):

*  Jobs
   :PROPERTIES:
   :COLUMNS: %35ITEM %8TODO %5DURATION %2EXITCODE
   :END:

**  Job 1
   :PROPERTIES:
   :STARTTIME: 1:00