[Orgmode] Re: Org-mode and taskpaper

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Org-mode and taskpaper
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 11:03:39 +0200

Hi Carsten,

> I hope that you can all agree with my conclusion.  If not, than I am
> confident that with time you will realize just how important today's
> decision was.

I do agree with you.  I only use a tiny subset of org's features:
Outlining, TODOs, Dates, some hyperlinks, the remember integration for
quick notes and tables.  In fact, I converted all the few spreadsheet
tables I use to org-mode, because it offered everything I need and emacs
is always open.

So at least for me loosing the table editor would be sad.

I would suggest another refactoring:

  - Make a subset of org the core which includes everything anybody
    uses, e.g. the outlining, TODOs, dates, links...

  - Everything else comes as plugin a user has to explicitly require in
    his ~/.emacs.

  - Use different keys for the plugins.  For example each plugin could
    have a customizable prefix for all its commands.

I think much of org's complexity comes from the fact, that you tried to
use only very few key bindings to DTRT.  A bit exaggerated one could say
org is fully controllable with C-c C-c.

Bye,
Tassilo