Re: [Orgmode] Displaying a standalone timer window based on clock-in/out

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Displaying a standalone timer window based on clock-in/out
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 09:49:46 +0200

On Apr 7, 2008, at 6:49 PM, Jose Robins wrote:

Carsten Dominik wrote:

On Apr 1, 2008, at 8:14 PM, Jose Robins wrote:

Before I was aware of org-mode, I developed this small superkaramba timer application which would display which task I was working on, when I started it, how much time was left, and also the current time. I've attached a snapshot of that app to this email.

Now I'm using org-mode extensively which has reignited my love for emacs. I know org-mode displays the current task and the elapsed time on the emacs modeline which is good. I was wondering if it would be possible to generate a separate automatic emacs frame (which is compact and for all intents and purposes looks like a simple xwindow) with the task name, the elapsed time etc. from org- mode as soon as you clock in ... This would allow for this timer window to be on all desktops for e.g without being intrusive.

Right now, I basically manually enter this info into my custom timer when I clock in and out of a task in org-mode.

Not sure whether others using org-mode feel a similar need or whether they use any other methods...

Hmmm, I don't really see the need/use for this, so I am not going to
implement it. Maybe I can provide you with a hook and you write a package
to use this hook?

- Carsten

That would be good! I'll see if I can do something around that. Now that you've said that "you don't really see the need" for this, I suppose, everyone else would agree with you!! :-) After all, you managed to make an april fool's joke and everyone jumped on your bandwagon not realizing it was a joke! Such is your moral power, my friend!! :-)

:-) Ahh, that was great fun. I guess from now on that power will be significantly reduced.

:-)

Carsten