Re: [Orgmode] Agenda view for logging?

From: Jose Robins
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Agenda view for logging?
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 08:09:21 -0700

Joel J. Adamson wrote:

Hi Jose, Manish

I don't really think that it would be reasonable to make any entry
that contains a string that looks like a time show up in the agenda.

I think I missed part of this conversation.  If I put

** Wash the dog <2008-04-10 09:56 >

in one of my org-agenda-files, it shows up at 9:56 in the agenda
time-grid.  Is this not the intended behavior?

Joel

Yes, that is intended behavior and it works fine. The question was whether a time range without a time-stamp would work as well. something like...

** 9:55 am - 10:15 am wash the dog
- would put this task in "today's" agenda view.

I see Carsten's  point about not wanting to recognize any arbitrary text string which looks like a time to be considered a "time-of-specification". A possible compromise is to have a string which looks like "<10:15-10:30> " to be considered as a task for today which appears @ the appropriate time in the agenda view. The beauty is that (a) you avoid having to type in extra keystrokes to schedule it, (b) no need to clutter with an additional date and (c) if it doesn't get done or something, when I do the agenda view tomorrow, it shows up there as well and it doesn't get lost.

Of course, I may be asking for things that may have other negative implications, since after all, I'm still a rookie with org mode (still wet behind the ears) and maybe there are better approaches to this.  :-)