Re: [Orgmode] Agenda view for logging?

From: Jose Robins
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Agenda view for logging?
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 08:09:41 -0700

Hi Ben,
Thanks for your detailed response. Your arguments make perfect sense. Let me try to get into the habit of "scheduling" and putting "deadlines". It's all a question of learning new habits and sticking to it.

Regards,
Jose

address@hidden wrote:
Hi Jose,

I'm also still very much a rookie, in GTD and in org-mode. But I'd argue against added one more way to add something to the agenda time grid.  Things show up in the time grid if
1) you use C-c C-s (adds SCHEDULED: property to headline)
2) you use C-c C-d (adds DEADLINE: property to headline)
3) you use C-u C-c . (inserts timestamp at point; headline will show up in agenda)

As a novice, I've come to the belief that these multiple ways of 'scheduling' (I mean only that a line of text is added to the agenda) have grown organically from org-mode's past, by not dropping an older, simpler way, but adding a new mechanism for a specific type of time-management problem. Each one has its own small differences in how it interacts with other features of org-mode to support the specific issue it addresses (deadlines show up in red, e.g.)

I offer the following thoughts quite humbly, knowing that I'm likely among the least effective time-manager and org-mode user on this list.

a) no need to type extra characters
response: perhaps you could try the commands listed above. You only need to type the time-range, and org-mode fills in the rest

b) no need to clutter up with the date
response: SCHEDULED and DEADLINE properties can be folded under the headline (in fact, they can be put into the PROPERTY drawer, if you'd really like to hide them. And there's no extra date verbage in the time grid (and I think there is a customization for removing the word 'Scheduled' if you don't like it, but I haven't decided to dislike it *that* much.  It's the default and I trust it's there for a good reason)

c) if I miss it today, it'll show up tomorrow
response: So if you've missed washing the dog today at 9:56, why should that task be automatically rescheduled for tomorrow *at the exact same time*.  If missing the appointed time and date doesn't prevent you from doing that task, then perhaps you could make it a TODO item that shows up on the global todo list instead.  If you actually did the task, but didn't get around to changing your headline, then it's there for you to deal with inappropriately.

Oh, and if you have a normal date+timestamp, then you find the headline and hit S-<right> to move the day forward by one, so the manual rescheduling isn't hard either.  So if you glance at yesterday's agenda, and see something in the wrong place, it's easy to move forward.  This works in the agenda, in the org-mode buffer, and you only need to get point somewhere inside or next to the timestamp (I use C-u C-u <arrow> alot, which isn't very precise, so I appreciate that I don't have to get the point to a specific character)

I hope you like key-board shortcuts (or you're going to go crazy with emacs, much less org-mode!)

Respectfully yours,

Ben