[Orgmode] Re: make error when making org fro git

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: make error when making org fro git
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 20:14:23 +0200

On Apr 12, 2008, at 6:14 PM, Rainer Stengele wrote:

yes, that made it work.
I did not choose to use emacs 21 - it is debian 4 default version.

Actually I misused my debain system to try to get a "make" for my
windows xp where I cannot get anything to work natively from git.
Doing a "make autoloads" I try to use the lisp directory under windows.
Hope that will work.

That should work.

With the old org "system" I could simply use the lisp files as given
but with the new structure I have to create the org-install.el file which is not working under windows.

Well, this is not fully correct.

First of all, by the "old" system, I guess you mean the distribution files in the form of zip or tar archives? These will still contain the org-install.el file and in this way this is not changed at all from the old system. The git repo is the bleeding edge development version. For technical reasons I cannot distribute a derived file like org-install.el with this repository. And to fully use the git repo you will indeed need a system that can run a few basic development tools, like make - not asking too much in my opinion.

We have not had a release now for a while because the splitting operation is a major undertaking. Once that is done, I will have more regular releases again, and then you can use the release files to stay close to the development version.

Furthermore, I do have a plan B for using the git repo, and that is simply doing (require 'org) instead of (require org-install). This is not the preferred method because it does load the rather large Org system into Emacs each time you start emacs. The preferred method is to use (require 'org-install) for a distribution, and *nothing* when Org is distributed with Emacs, because there it is fully autoloaded.

However, there are enough people who have never read the installation instructions close enough to know that in a downloaed version (require org-install) is the correct method to activate Org. Also, unfortunately, the excellent tutorial by David O'Toole, for many people the entry gate into Org, explains to use (require 'org). Therefore I am trying to set things up in a way that also this will work. If it does not, you can report this as a bug and I will fix it.

- Carsten