Re: [Orgmode] Org and Muse

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Org and Muse
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 15:00:18 +0200

On Apr 21, 2008, at 5:15 PM, Richard G Riley wrote:

I just dug out some old Muse documents I had and am now wondering what
overlap exists, if any, between Muse and Org. As a committed Org user
should I migrate these Muse projects to Org projects?  Any thoughts
appreciated. Possibly I have the wrong end of the stick with regard to
org publishing and the two should live together?

Hi Richard,

this really depends what you are up to.

If Org does fulfil all the publishing needs you have, and if you have recently only used Org for many things, it might be a good thing to move old Muse files. If only to just work in a single environment and not having to remember several different ways of writing the ascii source. Much can be achieved these days with rg if your target is HTML or LaTeX.

However, if the focus of what you are doing is really document creation, publishing, then Muse currently gives you many more options, to tweak the final output, to reach different formats etc.

There used to be plans to tweak Muse so that it could digest Org syntax, but these plans have died (as far as I know).

There are plans to enhance the export of Org, to allow richer output and more export formats, but my estimate is that it will be quite some time before these (in the publishing quality sense) would be up to par with Muse, if ever. The focus of Org has so far been less strongly on publishing, its syntax is sloppier to facilitate easier note taking, but that at the same time makes writing consistent export harder. Not impossible, only harder. Bastien has worked hard to create a basis for a general exporter, so I am sure more will come, eventually.

- Carsten