Re: [Orgmode] Re: Git org and Emacs CVS

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Git org and Emacs CVS
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 07:17:12 +0200

Just did my first sync-from-emacs, seems to have gone all right!

Thanks.

- Carsten

On Mar 24, 2008, at 6:15 AM, Michael Olson wrote:

Hi Leo,

synching with Emacs still needs special care and I am not yet
experienced enough with git to set up something more automatic.  So
not, this will not change anything.

Hi Carsten,

git does indeed make it easy to merge changes between Emacs 23 and an
upstream project.  I use it for ERC.  One strategy is as follows:

- Make a branch called "emacs23" which contains Org exactly as it is in
 Emacs23, but with the same directory structure as your master
 branch.
- Make a directory called "scripts" in the emacs23 branch that contains
 two scripts: one to sync changes from Emacs->upstream and one to sync
 upstream->Emacs.  Both operate by copying files into the proper place
 in the Emacs directory hierarchy.  Here are some examples -- modify
 them to match Org's layout and such.

===== BEGIN file: sync-to-emacs =====
#!/bin/bash

# Load common definitions
. scripts/common.defs

IFS="
"

for i in $LISP; do
  cp $i $EMACS/lisp/erc
done

for i in $MAN; do
  cp $i $EMACS/doc/misc
done

for i in $IMAGES; do
  # Do nothing
  :
done

cp ChangeLog* $EMACS/lisp/erc
cp $NEWS $EMACS/etc/ERC-NEWS
===== END file: sync-to-emacs =====

===== BEGIN file: sync-from-emacs =====
#!/bin/bash

# Load common definitions
. scripts/common.defs

(cd $EMACS/lisp/erc && find . -maxdepth 1 -mindepth 1 -type f -exec cp {} $OLDPWD \;)
cp $EMACS/etc/ERC-NEWS NEWS
cp $EMACS/doc/misc/erc.texi .
rm -f *.elc .cvsignore
git diff --stat
===== END file: sync-from-emacs =====

===== BEGIN file: common.defs =====
# Common definitions for syncing ERC             -*- Shell-script -*-

EMACS=~/proj/emacs/emacs/git-emacs

# Contents

IMAGES="images/icq-offline.png
images/icq-online.png
images/irc-offline.png
images/irc-online.png
images/msn-offline.png
images/msn-online.png"

NEWS="NEWS"

LISP="erc-autoaway.el
erc-backend.el
erc-button.el
erc-capab.el
erc-compat.el
erc-dcc.el
erc-ezbounce.el
erc-fill.el
erc-goodies.el
erc-hecomplete.el
erc-ibuffer.el
erc-identd.el
erc-imenu.el
erc-join.el
erc-lang.el
erc-list.el
erc-log.el
erc-match.el
erc-menu.el
erc-netsplit.el
erc-networks.el
erc-notify.el
erc-page.el
erc-pcomplete.el
erc-replace.el
erc-ring.el
erc-services.el
erc-sound.el
erc-speedbar.el
erc-spelling.el
erc-stamp.el
erc-track.el
erc-truncate.el
erc-xdcc.el
erc.el"

MAN="erc.texi"
===== END file: common.defs =====

Some scenarios follow.

* Capturing changes from Emacs in the emacs23 branch

- Switch to the emacs23 branch: git checkout emacs23
- Run the relevant sync script: ./scripts/sync-from-emacs
- Use "git add -i" to commit small concise atomic changes until all
 changes have been recorded.  Optionally use the --author argument to
 "git commit" to capture the name of the author of the original
 changes.

* Syncing changes from Emacs to upstream Org

- First do the capturing changes into emacs23 step.
- Run "git log" and place its contents into an Emacs buffer.
- git checkout master
- Cherry pick each commit from emacs23 that you want to migrate
 upstream by copying its commit ID from the Emacs buffer and doing:
 git cherry-pick $COMMIT_ID

* Syncing changes to Emacs

- First do the syncing changes from Emacs step.
- Then switch to the emacs23 branch: git checkout emacs23
- Do a simple "git merge master".
- Resolve any conflicts.
- If new files were added, modify scripts/sync-to-emacs to include
 them.
- Run the sync-to-emacs script: ./scripts/sync-to-emacs
- Check in the changes to Emacs using CVS. Or use git, checking in the
 change locally and then doing "git cvsexportcommit" to migrate that
 change to CVS.  The latter option requires commit access to CVS and
 use of the read-only public Emacs git repo at http://git.sv.gnu.org/
 (not much point to it, other than to automate contact with CVS as
 much as possible :^)

--
|       Michael Olson  |  FSF Associate Member #652     |
| http://mwolson.org/  |  Hobbies: Lisp, HCoop          |