[Orgmode] Re: Info about Emacs on EEE PC

From: Rick Moynihan
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Info about Emacs on EEE PC
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 10:07:59 +0100

Hi,

2008/5/1 Blue Dian <address@hidden>:
> Hi Rick,
>
> I discover on org list that you were using Emacs on eee pc.
>
> I will be very interested by more feedbacks on this use (Emacs and
> especially org-mode).
> Is the keyboard usable in Emacs ? Did you encounters some difficulties ? How
> did you resolve them ?

Overall, I don't have any real issues with the eee pc and Emacs.  I
have quite large hands though I don't have 'fat fingers', so I don't
have any real problems with the small keyboard.  Emacs with it's
keychords is perfectly usable with few problems with the Ctrl and Alt
(Meta) keys.

My main problem with the eee pc is that the pipe '|' character is hard
to type with it requiring you to press both shift and a function key
to type it.  This is only really an issue in the command shell though.
 And I suspect it'd be very easy to rebind this character to another
key, though I haven't yet got around to it.

Xandaros is an acceptable distro on the eeepc, as everything works,and
I've not yet installed a more capable distro such as eeebuntu though I
am considering doing this, as the eeepc isn't really suited to
installing lots of new software.

This said it is possible to install new software by editing some
config files and pointing xandros at the debian repositories.  This
works, but can be dangerous.  Installing Emacs in this way works fine
though.

There's more info on this at http://www.eeeuser.com/

I find the eeepc with org-mode to be a great combination for note taking.

> I planned to buy an eee pc, but perhaps could wait until the eee 900
> arrival.

I've not really looked at the eee 900, but as far as I know it uses
the same keyboard and form factor, just with a bigger screen and more
storage.  The eeepc could certainly use a bigger screen, but it's
perfectly adequate for web browsing and Emacs.  Though in my opinion
the eeepc isn't really suited as a real software development
environment.

The eee 900 might be worth the extra money for the bigger screen.

> I'm sure that this kind of feedbacks will interest a lot of Emacs user and
> potentially eee user.

Yes it might, I've forwarded this to the org-mode mailing list in case
others might be interested.

--
Rick Moynihan
address@hidden