Re: [Orgmode] wrong type of quotes in PDF manual

From: Daniel M German
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] wrong type of quotes in PDF manual
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 21:35:55 -0700

 >> May I suggest to replace ' with (quote ) in the manual? This error was
 >> tricky to track, as these quotes look very similar within emacs (I am
 >> using emacs23)

Hi Nick,

 Nick> Unfortunately, this is no help at all to you and will be little
 Nick> consolation, but there *is* a note in the Org manual (section 1.3,
 Nick> "Activation") that explicitly warns about this, although I don't know
 Nick> when it went in:

 Nick> <quote>

 Nick>  Important: If you use copy-and-paste to copy lisp code from the PDF
 Nick> documentation as viewed by Acrobat reader to your .emacs file, the
 Nick> single quote character comes out incorrectly and the code will not
 Nick> work. You need to fix the single quotes by hand, or copy from Info
 Nick> documentation.

 Nick> </quote>

I read this once sometime ago. And I forgot about it (today I was trying
to update to the latest version of org).

 Nick> Also, I tried xpdf and (modulo selecting *all* of the text to be pasted
 Nick> which is somewhat problematic, at least in my version of xpdf), I was
 Nick> able to paste and save with the quotes intact. So (from my naive point
 Nick> of view) it seems that Acroread does indeed mangle things.

I used evince (under ubuntu), so it is not only acroread.

Daniel M. German
http://turingmachine.org/
http://silvernegative.com/
dmg (at) uvic (dot) ca