[Orgmode] Re: Property for startup visibility?

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Property for startup visibility?
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 14:03:08 +0200

Hi Ben,

On May 7, 2008, at 8:29 PM, address@hidden wrote:

Mostly I want the Short and Long Term projects visible and I'd like to hide the calendars. I like to keep all this in one file because I'm most familiar with simple emacs searching, and I'm not yet good at org-mode/agenda searches (or global TODO lists, or tag matching, or all that)

I am starting to like the idea.

Since I don't work on "Solve World Hunger" everyday, I find it a distraction (as so many people do) to look at the TODOs under that project, so a simple TODO tree search hasn't helped me much. I know there is more in org-mode that would fix this, but one of the big pleasures of org-mode is how easy (easy, EASY!) it is to get started on SOMETHING productive, without having to invest a huge shift in my thinking. (I am working on that shift in thinking, but it has been slow to take hold. Time to re-read the Allen book; maybe this time I'll excise some more personal disorganizing demons)

So I'd suggest that the 'VISIBILITY' property does get added. I'd even suggest adding another stop on the org-mode-tab-cycle chain (FOLDED VISIBILITY-PROPERTY CHILDREN SUBTREE).

Definitely not. Visibility cycling works because there is a clear sequence in it from showing little to showing everything. Such an extra stop would kill intuition, I believe. Instead, I could make a command, say `C-u C-u TAB' to switch back the entire buffer to the startup visibility. And by the way, during C-c C-c on an option, org- mode-hook is not run again.

I can even see feature-creep with this, as someone may want org-mode to update the VISIBILITY property automatically on killing/saving the buffer, so when the file is revisited, any hand-tuned folding is recreated.

That has been requested before, but storing the visibility permanently in properties sound like overkill to me. So no for now.

Thought-experiment: Should the VISIBILITY property be automatically inherited?

I dont think so. Better to make possible values for the visibility that affect the entire tree below. For example:

folded
children  (like the local "children" state)
content   (like the global "content" state, but local tree only
all

- Carsten