Re: [Orgmode] Re: Customizing HTML Export

From: Joel J. Adamson
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Customizing HTML Export
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 10:52:59 -0400

Peter Jones <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Joel J. Adamson) writes:
>> I want you to know that LaTeX is worth it, in case you have yet to give
>> it a fair shot.
>
> I haven't given LaTex a fair shot yet, but it is the next technology
> on my list of "things to learn".

I love it!  Check this out

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[garamond]{mathdesign}
\title{A Greeting}
\author{Peter Jones, FRS}
\begin{document}
\maketitle

Hello!  How about a nice equation?

\begin{equation}
  \label{eq:1}
  \nu = \int_a^bt\times sin(x) dx
\end{equation}

\end{document}

%%% Local Variables:
%%% mode: latex
%%% TeX-master: t
%%% End:

> What I'm doing right now is using the HTML export from org-mode as a
> way to generate requirements outlines for my clients.  I then use a
> CSS file that I've written that makes the HTML look very nice so that
> I can export it to PDF.
>
> I realize that LaTex is a better way to go to PDF, but I do have some
> concerns:
>
>  1. A lot of software and configuration needs to be in-place to use
>     LaTex

What system are you using?  TeX systems are pretty easy to install, and
highly automated.  If you are using Windows, MikTeX does all the dirty
work for you, including a synaptic-esque package manager.  For Mac or
Linux there's TeXLive, which I haven't used, but my experience is that
it's all pretty easy to install (although it can take forever to
download, often >700 MB).  For Debian-based systems, all you have to do
is find the TeX system in your package manager of choice.  I use
Slackware, and teTeX came with the system (although i've urged the
maintainers to start using TeXLive).

>  2. The default fonts used when converting LaTex to PDF are ugly, to
>  say the least 3. HTML and CSS is much more accessible to me right now

Yes, I'm aware of that, but that depends on the fonts on your system and
a few other variables.  With MikTeX and other systems, installing new
fonts is pretty easy, but it does take some learning to get all the ins
and outs.  I use Garamond for most of my documents, and it prints beautifully.

> Joel, want to point me in the right direction for learning LaTex and
> producing nice looking PDF documents?

The best thing to do is visit www.tug.org, get the "Not So Short
Introduction to LaTeX" and read about it for a while.  There are tons of
tutorials on the internet, and you'll find a lot of them at tug.org.
Most TeX systems come with pdflatex, which directly produces pdf, with
limitations (pdflatex can't use eps graphics, my preferred format, but
must use png or gif --- someone please correct me if I'm wrong).  But
for that you can just generate the dvi and then use dvipdf to get a
pdf.  Again when I use my own fonts
("\usepackage[garamond]{mathdesign}") then I get nice results with
printing and pdf.  I used dvipng to produce this attachment.

Joel

The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only
for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential
use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine at 800-856-1983 and
properly dispose of this information.

Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician
Massachusetts General Hospital