Re: [Orgmode] Possible Bug in Table Calculations?

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Possible Bug in Table Calculations?
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 09:39:05 +0200

Hi Peter,

org tables work with a limited numerical accuracy of results to avoid fields that result from operations like divisions to get too wide. Maybe I really should change this and make people specify a format in the formula if they want it narrower.

Currently, Org uses cals with only 5 significant digits, this is the cause for this accuracy. You can change this per equation by including something like "n8" or "f8" into the mode string, like

  @5$1=vsum(@address@hidden);n8%.2f

Or you can customize the variable org-calc-default-formats and change the format there from (float 5) to something like (float 8), which will solve you problem for good.

Maybe I should actually do this by default. Yes, I wil, do so. Better questions about too wide fields than inaccurate calculations.

HTH

- Carsten