Re: [Orgmode] automatically jumping to stored note location

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] automatically jumping to stored note location
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 10:23:38 +0200

Hi Adam,

On Jun 11, 2008, at 12:53 PM, Adam Spiers wrote:

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 07:16:21AM +0200, Dominik, C. wrote:

Hi Adam,

I have now implemented this feature, exactly as ordered :-),
with %&.

Woohoo!  Awesome, thanks - I have wanted that one for a long time :-)
Seems to work great.  I have three comments/questions related to this
and similar org-remember details:

 1) Ideally %& would preserve the position of the point within the
    template when it arrives in the final destination.  This is
    particularly important if a template has all three of %? %! and
    %&, otherwise %? is effectively ignored when %! and %& are
    present.

That does now work, I believe.

 2) It doesn't seem possible to set up a template so that it will
    always insert at the very top of a particular file.  I really
    miss that, since I keep most TODOs at the top level, and I like
    a "newest first" view by default when not in the agenda.

Well, the newest first is no problem, just use the first headline in
the file as remember target and configure the variable org-reverse- note-order
to make sure that the specified file it treated in this way.

Having said that, you can now use `top' or `bottom' as values for the
remember target heading, and the note will then be filed as a level 1 entry
to the top or bottom of the file, respectively.

 3) I am a bit confused by the 'Selection interface for heading' 5th
    option of a remember template.  It doesn't seem to have any
    effect - how is it supposed to interact with
    `org-remember-store-without-prompt'?

Yes, this is confusing, I agree.  When
`org-remember-store-without-prompt' is set (which is the default),
all the positioning interface stuff is completely by-passed.
Setting nil for file or headline really means: use the default,
taken from
`org-default-notes-file' and `org-remember-default-heading',
respectively.

HTH

- Carsten