Re: [Orgmode] italics and fill paragraph behavior

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] italics and fill paragraph behavior
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 07:44:07 -0700

On Jul 18, 2008, at 1:26 AM, Rustom Mody wrote:

1. When I ue italics with  /something in italics/ and the text spans
across multile lines org arbitrarily does from italics into roman and
back ( in a way which I cannot fathom).

By default Org looks only for a max of two lines for emphasis. You can change this by customizing the variable org-emphasis-regexp- components, the last element gives the max number of lines you want to allow. A restart of Emacs maybe required after you changed this before it becomes effective.

Also, generally font-lock can have problems with font lock expressions that span multiple lines while you type them. For example, when you type

 /bkjkkjjk .... text including one newline .... lkjflkjsl/

font-lock fails to see this. Do M-x font-lock-fontify-buffer to fix such cases. Next time you open the buffer, font-lock does look at the entire buffer and finds such multiline locations.

Is there some other prefered way for multiline italics?

You can use @<i> .... @</i> if you are only interested in italics for HTML export, but I do not think this is a "preferred" way.

2. M-q (fill-paragraph) messes up paragraphs which have lines ending
in '\\' ie it joins lines ending \\ to the next and the \\ stops
acting

Yes, this is a problem I do not know how to fix.

- Carsten