Re: [Orgmode] Re: Suggest changing git repo on website to refer to git p

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Suggest changing git repo on website to refer to git protocol
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 10:31:30 -0700

Hi

If a volunteer writes this up, I'd be happy to include it on the org- mode pages.

- Carsten

On Jul 23, 2008, at 9:19 AM, Alan E. Davis wrote:

I might add a couple of cents' worth.  I am clue challenged where it
comes to certain technologies that the users of lists such as this one
seem to take for granted.  In particular, while I didn't clearly
understand the problem brought up by the original poster, I did have
quite a bit of trouble with this very link.  I couldn't figure out how
to use git at all.  I posted on the list, and got help from some
listmembers, clarifying the issues.

In my humble opinion, a clearer explanation of how to "clone" (what's
that?) a git repository, and so on, would be helpful.  I have
(probably a bit presumptously) been able to install quite a few
software programs from CVS, subversion, etc., probably even git.  In
each case there was a clearly presented instruction of how to use it.

I have appreciated this.  As an interloper in the technological world,
in many ways, I owe a massive debt to those who have made it easy for
me to do what I have needed or wanted to do.

It was Manish who explained to me in the clearest terms how to use the
git repository.  I trust he will not resent my posting here his
instructions ( in a far less clearly formatted manner than his own,
I'm afraid).  I am taking some liberties with his presentation:

I. Org is cloned from it's git repo [perhaps in ~/elisp/org- mode.git:].

$ mkdir ~/elisp/ && cd ~/elisp
$ git clone git://repo.or.cz/org-mode.git org-mode.git

II.  When one wishes to update the "clone"

  $ cd ~/elisp/org-mode.git && git pull

He explained more of the process of building the package.  This was
helpful to me.  Perhaps with something similar on the org-mode pages,
a less clueful (but no less keen) newcomer like myself may be given
the gift of understanding.

I have gone on at some length.

Alan

"It's never a matter of liking or disliking ..."
---Santa Ynez Chumash Medicine Man

--
Alan Davis, Kagman High School, Saipan address@hidden

"It's never a matter of liking or disliking ..."
---Santa Ynez Chumash Medicine Man

"We have no art. We do everything as well as we can." ---Balinese saying