Re: [Orgmode] graphing from org-tables

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] graphing from org-tables
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 07:26:12 -0700

It seems that the ability to generate graphs/plots from org files may
be general enough to be useful as either an addition to org-table or
as a new org-plot library.  Carsten has suggested the addition of a
new gnuplot (or maybe R-plot or just plot) link type to be used for
plotting

I would be happy to help write up such a library, but would like to
first push some discussion of what some of the potential uses would
be.  Here are some seed questions/thoughts...

1) Would it ever make sense to graph/plot information which is not in
   an org-table, if so how would that information be stored?
  - function or equation in the gnuplot link
  - array of values in the link
  - latex function (cringe)
  - elsewhere
2) It seems that it may be useful to automatically generate/update
   plots during publication of org-files to latex or html
3) Currently I find it very useful to be able to see an initial plot
   of a table with a single command, however there should be a sliding
   scale from ease of plotting to greater control over the final plot.
   Maybe through specification of gnuplot options through properties,
   or simply specification of a gnuplot script.
4) also clearly R is another plotting library of interest, how should
   different libraries be handled.
5) would application of more powerful libraries like R to org-tables
   be useful as an alternative to calc, or is this beginning to look
   like a kitchen sink

I'm sure there are many other interesting places where this discussion
could lead.  Please see emails below for the genesis of these ideas,
and share your own thoughts.

Thanks -- Eric