Re: [Orgmode] Re: Persistent clocks

From: Jason F. McBrayer
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Persistent clocks
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 10:17:37 -0400

"Denis Bueno" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 21:26, Bernt Hansen <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I use the clock all the time and occasionally I restart Emacs during
>> the day.  In that case I find it pretty easy to go to agenda view for
>> today, hit 'l' to show the clocked time for today and pick the last item
>> and clock that in again - then I just delete the new clock line and the
>> old start time is used when the clock stops.
>
> Ah, I see.  I just tried it.  Thanks for the tip.
>
>> I personally don't do this enough to want it to be automatic.  In other
>> work flows it may be wrong for it to be automatic.  For example: If you
>> are in org FILE1 and quit with an open clock and then restart Emacs and
>> open org FILE2 which also has an open clock it would be wrong to make
>> that one active - since the last clocked time you used was in FILE1.
>
> I agree, there are thorny issues.  I think your way is better,
> especially considering that I'm not _constantly_ restarting Emacs, I
> just want to be able to _deal_ with restarting Emacs.

It might be nice if C-u C-c C-x C-i could find open clocks in the open
file and in the agenda files, and offer them to you as things to clock
into.  Perhaps only if it can't find any recently-clocked tasks in the
normal way, which it can't do right after starting emacs.  It's pretty
rare for me to restart emacs in the middle of the workday, but when I do
(usually because of upgrading emacs or a major package), the
agenda-log-view shuffle /works/ (better than manually searching), but
could be better.

| Jason F. McBrayer                    address@hidden  |
| If someone conquers a thousand times a thousand others in |
| battle, and someone else conquers himself, the latter one |
| is the greatest of all conquerors.  --- The Dhammapada    |