Re: [Orgmode] Opening links to Outlook items from Org mode (may be a FR)

From: R. P. Dillon
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Opening links to Outlook items from Org mode (may be a FR)
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 11:17:57 -0700

Jason F. McBrayer wrote:
Manish <address@hidden> writes:

I have to use Office and envy folks that can link to their emails
(Gnus, VM etc.) and contacts (bbdb) from Org mode.  So I was looking
around and found that links to Outlook items (emails, meetings,
contacts etc.)  of the form "Outlook:<GUID>" can be stored and opened
from other applications.  The links can be created (copied to
clipboard) using "Outlook Linker" utility as described in [1].

(w32-shell-execute "open" "outlook:blahblah") should do what you need.
The tricky part is getting the GUID into Emacs (requires gratis but
proprietary utility you link to).

Does anyone know if this type of linking is possible with Thunderbird? Some Googling hasn't turned up anything, so maybe the solution is to switch to GNUs. I like to use org-mode as my central repository of information, and linking to email messages would really round out that functionality.