Re: [Orgmode] protecting ascii art

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] protecting ascii art
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 23:58:06 +0200

On Aug 26, 2008, at 2:26 AM, William Henney wrote:

Hi Scott

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 11:38 AM, Scott Otterson
<address@hidden> wrote:
By the way, it would be lovely if it were possible to use emacs's built-in
artist-mode:

 http://www.cinsk.org/emacs/emacs-artist.html

to draw diagrams inside of an org mode buffer. Right now, hitting M-x
artist-mode while already in org-mode clobbers the org file.

What seems to work is to first set aside some lines for your artistic
creation, select them, and do "C-x n n" (narrow-to-region) before
turning on artist-mode. Then, when you have finished, turn off
artist-mode and do "C-x n w" (widen).

This is a bit of a pain to remember the steps, but it does protect the
org file from getting clobbered.

This is a very good idea that fits right into the functionality of the
"C-c '" command, so I have added it there.  If you now press "C-c '" in
a region of lines starting with a colon, you get to edit this region in
artist-mode.  Also, if you press these keys in an empty line, a new
drawing is created.

I always wanted to have drawing in some way and even did some experiments
years ago - but I did not know of artist-mode.

Thanks for the ideas!

- Carsten

P.S. I believe that also the strikethrough problem is fixed by now.

Cheers

Will

--

Dr William Henney, Centro de Radioastronomía y Astrofísica,
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Campus Morelia