Re: [Orgmode] Re: Very slow agenda view

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Very slow agenda view
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 21:22:09 +0200

On Aug 15, 2008, at 7:05 PM, Jason F. McBrayer wrote:

Rainer Stengele <address@hidden> writes:

takes several seconds on my EmacsW32 3 GHz CPU. After changing the tag
inheritance setting to nil the view shows in about 1 second! Which is
good enough!

I have the same behaviour here; I had thought that the slowness was
mainly due to some of my agenda files being on a slow flash drive, but
tag inheritance turns out to be a much bigger factor. Which is kind of unfortunate, as some of my searches depended on tag inheritance, but I'm
willing to re-tag some things to get my agenda showing faster.

One thing that might help is the following:

A tags/property search will suffer only a little from tag inheritance, because it systematically walks through all headlines with all tags anyway.

Another view like the daily/weekly agenda view or the TODO list will suffer from tag inheritance, because each matching entry will scan upward the hierarchy to find out what the inherited tags are, just so that the agenda view can display the tags *on demand*.

So you could turn on tag inheritance for tags matches and turn it off for other views, using the command-specific option settings, like so:

("A" agenda "prio A agenda"
        ((org-agenda-skip-function
          (lambda nil
(org-agenda-skip-entry-if (quote notregexp) "\\=.*\\[#A\ \]")))
         (org-agenda-ndays 3)
         (org-deadline-warning-days -1)
         (org-use-tag-inheritance nil)
         (org-agenda-overriding-header "Today's Priority #A tasks: ")))

The disadvantage will be that the "T" key in the agenda will no longer show any inherited tags, and also that the new filtering-by-tag (the "/" key in the aganda) will ignore inherited tags.

HTH

- Carsten