Re: [Orgmode] Properties and dates in column view

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Properties and dates in column view
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 10:23:17 +0200

Hi Chris, this i a useful idea, I am putting it in.

Thanks, also for spotting erros in the documentation.

- Carsten

On Sep 17, 2008, at 10:58 PM, Chris Randle wrote:

Hi Carsten

Sorry for calling you Gerrit earlier (brain failure), and also for so
many posts from me today. I've started to implement properties and
column view in my Org-mode file.

I have an entry like this:

* Copy of bank form
 SCHEDULED: <2008-09-17 Wed>
 :PROPERTIES:
 :EXPIRES:  [2008-10-12 Sun]
 :END:
 Sent original back to NW

If not a lot of trouble, is it possible to:

1) have the column view recognise properties that are an active/ inactive
date stamp so that S-Left/S-Right will decrement/increment the date?

2) Have the 'e' edit recognise that the property value is a date stamp
and use the date editor?

I noticed that the SCHEDULED and DEADLINE inbuilt properties behave this
way already and thought that it would be useful to have other date
properties behave the same way.

I think that the suggested behaviour above should apply only if no
allowed values have been set for that particular property.

Also, I noticed in the documentation (Section 7.5.2 Using column view)
page 50 of the PDF, that the comment for S-M-Right says "Insert a new
column, to the right of the current column". When I try that it inserts
to the left. My feeling is, thinking about the keystroke's parallel in
table mode, that the behaviour is correct but the documentation should
say "...to the left...".

--
Chris Randle
Windows XP SP3 - GNU Emacs 22.1.1 - Org-mode 6.06b