Re: [Orgmode] Mairix & Mutt

From: Russell Adams
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Mairix & Mutt
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 07:16:05 -0500

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 01:18:17PM +0200, Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I was thinking about how to interface mutt and org-mode for quite some
> time now but didn't really get around to it.
>
> I've tried to use many emacs MUAs for this purpose (mh-e, wanderlust,
> mew and finally the great scary GNUs) but they're not quite to my
> taste.

Mutt is my preferred client as well.

> Your proposal gave me the necessary hacktivation energy to come up
> with my version of this prototype. I also borrowed some of your code,
> but backported it to perl 5.8.

Hacker twin powers activate!

> Russell Adams schrieb:
> > The workflow goes like this:
> >
> >  - Reading email in Mutt, in index or pager
> >  - Trigger script via M-o in Mutt
> >  - Middle-click into my org-mode buffer pasting the link
> >  - Later visit the link and execute mairix to find message by ID
> >  - In current Mutt session, use M-` to jump to search folder and read
> >    message
> ---Zitatende---
>
> Those are a few steps too many for me. I wanted to press <f9>t in the
> index or pager and then pop up an emacs window with remember.

I typically have mutt & emacs/org open at the same time in separate
windows. I don't do "popup" anything. ;]

> As org-annotation-helper.el does this already, I decided to use it.
>
> Also mutt is able to search its own mailboxes, not as flexible as
> mairix, because it can only search a single folder, but I only really
> want to link back to a certain mail for now.

I use Maildir style directories and a lovely script which
auto-archives anything older than 2 weeks that isn't flagged.

Due to the automated movement, search via mairix is a must for me.

> I also had a long conversation with pdmef on channel #mutt on
> freenode.net, who gave me the two crucial ideas how to configure this
> in mutt.
>
> The main idea is to use the path-type variable record to get the name
> of the current folder and store it in the two keyboard macros. The
> keyboard macros change every time you change a folder in mutt.
>
> This is a rough prototype still. I'd like to get rid of the (y/n)
> prompt and therefore I'd like to have a link-type "mutt:" in org,
> which means some of the functionality of the perl-script would have to
> get implemented in emacs-lisp. But that would give me the benefit of a
> customisable terminal and maybe get everything a bit less hairy...
>
> You'll notice that calling mutt with a mail is not very straight
> forward. In theory,
>
> mutt -f $mailbox -e "push <search>~i$msgid<enter><display-message>"
>
> should be sufficient. However if it's started via xterm -e, the
> keystrokes don't arrive, maybe because xterm does some terminal
> initialisations after mutt has started (or my window manager sends a
> resize signal a bit too late, something like that). That's why I'm
> writing the keystrokes to a temporary file. Not elegant, but does the
> job.

Thats why my workflow just had mairix update the search folder, and
since Mutt was already open I just press a key to jump to my search folder.

Glad to see you're able to adapt it to your needs.

Russell Adams                            address@hidden